Making the Biga:
2. Add the water and mix for a total of 5 minutes on speed 1.
3. At this point, the dough should be a shaggy and dry mass. Break/tear the dough into small pieces and move them into a large container so the biga has room to grow. Once all the dough has been moved into the container in pieces, cover it and poke holes in the top so that the biga can breathe.
4. Let the biga rest at room temperature (preferably 65-70F) for 12 hours. If you do not plan to use the biga within 12 hours, place it in the refrigerator and remove it 12 hours before intended use.
Closing the Dough:
1. Add 60% of the water to the mixer (6.75kg) along with the biga and mix for 5 minutes on speed 2. The mixture should start to become frothy and bubbly.
2. Add the remaining Caputo “0” Nuvola Super and mix until the water is absorbed.
3. Add the salt and continue mixing for 2-3 minutes.
4. Gradually add the rest of the water and mix on speed 2.
6. When the dough is complete, allow it to rest in a container or on the counter covered for 30 minutes.
7. After the dough has rested, divide and scale your dough balls to your desired size.
8. Place your dough balls in dough trays and let them rest at room temperature. They will be ready to use in 4-5 hours. If you are not baking until the next day, let the dough trays sit out at room temperature for at least 1 hour and then transfer them to the refrigerator overnight.
1. Preheat your oven to 550+ degrees. Remove your dough balls from the refrigerator at least 3 hours before intended use and let them come to room temperature if they were in the refrigerator.
2. Stretch your pizza on a lightly dusted counter using Caputo Semola and add your favorite toppings.
3. Transfer your pizza to a pizza peel and gently shuffle the pizza off the peel into your heated oven.
4. Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Meet the chef
Meet the chef