Tomato Mussel Soup Sauce
- 2 pounds mussels live in their shells
- 1/3 cup evoo
- 11/2 teaspoons garlic chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon parley chopped coarse
- 1 cup CIAO tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon chopped hot red chili pepper
For each serving
- 1 thick slice of grilled or browned in the oven crusty bread lightly rubbed with a peeled mashed garlic clove.
- Wash and clean the mussels
- Choose a pot that can comfortably accomodate all the mussels in their shells. Put in the oil and chopped garlic, and turn on the heat to medium. Sauté the garlic until it has become colored a light gold. Add the parsley, stir throughly once, then put in the tomatoes and chili pepper. Cook, uncovered, at a gentle, but steady simmer for about 25 min, or until the oil floats free of the tomatoes.
- Put in all the mussel in their shells, cover the pot, and raise the heat to high. Check the mussels frequently, moving them around with a long-handled spoon and bringing up to the top the mussels from the bottom. Cook until all the mussels have opened their shells.
- Put a slice of the grilled, garlicky bread on the bottom of each individual soup bowl, ladle the mussels with their sauce and juices over it, and serve at once.